Spanish Shrimp and Tomatoes
Prep Time: 10-15 min.
Cooking Time: 12-15 min.
Three words: easy, quick, flavourful. You will love it!
- 1 tbsp olive or coconut oil.
- 1½ lbs shrimp, peeled, deveined.
- Celtic salt and pepper.
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced.
- Hot pepper flakes.
- A few strands of saffron, diluted in ¼ cup of warm water.
- 6 plum tomatoes, cored, halves lengthwise, and sliced in ½-inch thick.
- 2 tbsp each chopped parsley and basil.
- 1 tbsp each of lemon and orange juice and some of their zest.
- ¼ cup pine nuts or almond slivers, lightly toasted.
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Swirl to coat the skillet. Season the shrimp. Add half the shrimp to the skillet and cook until opaque and pink through, 3-4 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with the remaining shrimp, adding more oil if necessary.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add garlic and pepper flakes. Stir in the saffron water and the tomatoes, and cook until they begin to break down, 4-6 minutes. Season with salt.
- Return the shrimp and any accumulated juices to the skillet. Add parsley, basil, lemon and orange juice and zest. Toss to coat. Sprinkle the pine nuts. Serve over steamed spinach.